If you're anything like I used to be, you have a make up bag that is full of products, 25% of which you use, the other 75% reaching the expiry date barely being touched. Lipsticks too dark or bright, mascaras that failed on their promises to create longer and fuller lashes, foundations that are too thick, too runny or don't blend with your skin tone...
How many products do you actually NEED in your make up bag?
I have 13 in total...including brushes! From left to right as pictured:
1. Napoleon Perdis primer (it really does make your foundation/powder last longer reducing the need to reapply)
2. Body Shop pressed powder. I am not into foundation or BB creams (they cause me breakouts)
3. Clinique redness solutions targeted corrector. This is the best concealer I have found for my skin type.
4. 2 eye make up brushes - one to apply shadow, the other is thin and angled to blend eye liner.
5. Witchery eye shadow palette. In my best neutrals (2 shades of grey or 2 shades of taupe for inner and outer eye)
6. Maybelline unstoppable eyeliner in onyx
7. Maxfactor kohl pencil in white (for inner corner of eyes)
8. Clarins mascara in intense brown (brown mascara actually looks better on more people than black)
9. Body Shop lip and cheek stain (one of my absolute essentials because of its versatility and staying power)
10. Burt's Beeswax lip balm with vitamin E and peppermint - the only lip balm I have found that prevents and cures chapped lips properly
11. Mac lipstick in my exact natural lip colour for everyday (you should always have one of these even if you are not into lipstick as it enhances your lip and face colouring naturally)
12. Revlon lipstick in snow peach. This is my bright (but suits my cooler colouring) lipstick which I wear when I present or feeling a bit bolder!
13 things. That covers all of my day and night needs.
If you are a big make up wearer, the only things I would add to this list are foundation and eyebrow definer. And if you like bright lipsticks, a lip liner to stop the colour from bleeding into your skin. You really do not need to spend 100's or 1000's of dollars on make up that just sits in your drawer.
Don't get sucked into the trends you see in the magazines...orange lipstick does not suit every skin colouring, nor does bronzer, nor coloured mascara, nor candy coloured eye shadows...
Set aside a good few hours to shop for make up (yes it takes this long to get it right) and ONLY buy what suits your natural colouring and personality. If you can, take someone with you whose opinion you trust and only listen to the sales assistant if you really believe what they are telling you is right.
Foundations should blend invisibly into your jaw line, eye shadows should be in your best neutral colours, mascara wands should be easy to use and shouldn't clump (long and thin for fine lashes, rounder for thicker lashes) - it should all feel comfortable and light to wear.